Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Page 160 (8.600-639) "him good... to adore."


editions: [1922] [html] [archv]
notes: [Th] [G&S] [Dent] [wbks] [rw] [images] [hyper]
Delaney: [316] Useen: [] [cp] maps: [path] [other] [*]
fd: [315]

<

him good. Where Pat Kinsella had his Harp theatre before Whitbred ran the Queen's. Broth of a boy. Dion Boucicault business with his harvestmoon face in a poky bonnet. Three Purty Maids from School. How time flies, eh? Showing long red pantaloons under his skirts. Drinkers, drinking, laughed spluttering, their drink against their breath. More power, Pat. Coarse red: fun for drunkards: guffaw and smoke. Take off that white hat. His parboiled eyes. Where is he now? Beggar somewhere. The harp that once did starve us all.

54yo in 1901?
the Harp Musical Hall in Adam court closed in 1893
54yo in 1901

died NYC 1890
harvestmoon face

"Three Little Maids From School Are We" 

"The harp that once through Tara`s halls"


I was happier then. Or was that I? Or am I now I? Twentyeight I was. She twentythree. When we left Lombard street west something changed. Could never like it again after Rudy. Can't bring back time. Like holding water in your hand. Would you go back to then? Just beginning then. Would you? Are you not happy in your home, you poor little naughty boy? Wants to sew on buttons for me. I must answer. Write it in the library.

looking back towards Trinity
1925

Grafton street gay with housed awnings lured his senses. Muslin prints, silk dames and dowagers, jingle of harnesses, hoofthuds lowringing in the baking causeway. Thick feet that woman has in the white stockings. Hope the rain mucks them up on her. Country bred chawbacon. All the beef to the heels were in. Always gives a woman clumsy feet. Molly looks out of plumb.

Molly remembers Grafton: "I hate those rich shops get on your nerves nothing kills me altogether only he [LB] thinks he knows a great lot about a womans dress and cooking mathering everything he can scour off the shelves into it if I went by his advices every blessed hat I put on does that suit me yes take that thats alright the one like a weddingcake standing up miles off my head he said suited me or the dishcover one coming down on my backside on pins and needles about the shopgirl in that place in Grafton street I had the misfortune to bring him into and she as insolent as ever she could be with her smirk saying Im afraid were giving you too much trouble what shes there for but I stared it out of her"


He passed, dallying, the windows of Brown Thomas, silk mercers. Cascades of ribbons. Flimsy China silks. A tilted urn poured from its mouth a flood of bloodhued poplin: lustrous blood. The huguenots brought that here. La causa รจ santa! Tara tara. Great chorus that. Taree tara. Must be washed in rainwater. Meyerbeer. Tara: bom bom bom.

1848


cf p147 "Or the inkbottle I suggested with a false stain of black celluloid."




Pincushions. I'm a long time threatening to buy one. Sticking them all over the place. Needles in window curtains.



He bared slightly his left forearm. Scrape: nearly gone. Not today anyhow. Must go back for that lotion. For her birthday perhaps. Junejulyaugseptember eighth. Nearly three months off. Then she mightn't like it. Women won't pick up pins. Say it cuts lo.

cuts love


Gleaming silks, petticoats on slim brass rails, rays of flat silk stockings.

Useless to go back. Had to be. Tell me all.

...to Eccles to interrupt the rendezvous (has Bloom been delaying his lunch until he decides this?)

cf p152 (quoting Martha p75): "Please tell me what is the meaning. Please tell me what perfume does your wife. Tell me who made the world. The way they spring those questions on you."


High voices. Sunwarm silk. Jingling harnesses. All for a woman, home and houses, silk webs, silver, rich fruits spicy from Jaffa. Agendath Netaim. Wealth of the world.



fd: [316]
A warm human plumpness settled down on his brain. His brain yielded. Perfume of embraces all him assailed. With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.

(surrendering finally to his masochism)
Molly: "if he wants to kiss my bottom Ill drag open my drawers and bulge it right out in his face as large as life"

>

mysteries: better vid of Meyerbeer


[DD 00:57-03:34]
[DD 00:00-02:23]

[IM 43:49-47:12]

[LV1 45:06-46:20]
[LV1 00:26-02:33]

[LV2 20:25-23:49]



lestrygonians: 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175







No comments:

Post a Comment