Sunday, April 12, 2015

Page 710 (18.746-783) "but as for being... all about the old"


editions: [1922] [html] [archv]
notes: [Th] [G&S] [Dent] [] [wbks] [rw] [images] [hyper]
Delaney: [0] Useen: [] [cp] maps: [other] [*]

<



but as for being a woman as soon as youre old
they might as well throw you out in the bottom of the ashpit.




Mulveys was the first
when I was in bed that morning
and Mrs Rubio brought it in with the coffee
she stood there standing when I asked her to hand me
and I pointing at them I couldnt think of the word a hairpin
to open it with ah horquilla




disobliging old thing and it staring her in the face
with her switch of false hair on her and vain about her appearance
ugly as she was near 80 or a 100 her face a mass of wrinkles
with all her religion




domineering because she never could get over the Atlantic fleet coming in
half the ships of the world
and the Union Jack flying
with all her carabineros
because 4 drunken English sailors took all the rock from them




and because I didnt run into mass often enough
in Santa Maria to please her
with her shawl up on her except when there was a marriage on
with all her miracles of the saints
and her black blessed virgin with the silver dress
and the sun dancing 3 times on Easter Sunday morning
and when the priest was going by with the bell
bringing the vatican to the dying
blessing herself for his Majestad




an admirer he signed it
I near jumped out of my skin
I wanted to pick him up when I saw him following me
along the Calle Real in the shop window
then he tipped me just in passing




but I never thought hed write making an appointment
I had it inside my petticoat bodice all day
reading it up in every hole and corner
while father was up at the drill instructing
to find out by the handwriting or the language of stamps
singing I remember shall I wear a white rose
and I wanted to put on the old stupid clock to near the time




he was the first man kissed me
under the Moorish wall
my sweetheart when a boy
it never entered my head what kissing meant
till he put his tongue in my mouth
his mouth was sweetlike
young




I put my knee up to him a few times to learn the way
what did I tell him I was engaged for
for fun
to the son of a Spanish nobleman named Don Miguel de la Flora
and he believed me
that I was to be married to him in 3 years time
theres many a true word spoken in jest




there is a flower that bloometh
a few things I told him true about myself
just for him to be imagining
the Spanish girls he didnt like
I suppose one of them wouldnt have him




I got him excited
he crushed all the flowers on my bosom he brought me
he couldnt count the pesetas and the perragordas till I taught him
Cappoquin he came from he said
on the black water
but it was too short




then the day before he left
May yes it was May when the infant king of Spain was born
Im always like that in the spring
Id like a new fellow every year
up on the tiptop under the rockgun near OHaras tower
I told him it was struck by lightning
and all about the old






>

mysteries:


[DD]
[IM]
[LV1]
[LV2]


penelope: 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 642 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732


No comments:

Post a Comment